Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Combat Allergies Naturally


When I was still living in NYC I never had one single problem with allergies. Now that I am in NC it is a constant battle. At first I thought I was just getting frequent colds or having adverse reactions to products I use on my skin. I would feel like little bugs are crawling all over me and that feeling had me going crazy. Now my allergies are somewhat under control, but only due to OTC allergy medications. I would like to fight allergies naturally and started doing research. Here are a several things I found out about and I can't wait to try them

  1. The main one I am going to try as soon as I get to the local farmers' market is LOCAL HONEY. I really love honey in the first place, so to know it could help is awesome. Eating honey made by local bees can help alleviates allergy symptoms because it is made from the same plants causing the allergic reaction. Taking in a small amount of the allergen works just like a vaccine, helping your immune system build antibodies against it.
  2. The juice of half of a LIME mixed with a cup of warm water will help flush your system of toxins from allergens. I bet adding a little local honey would make it even better. Drink once daily in the morning.
  3. I use APPLE CIDER VINEGAR in a rinse for my hair (you can find my ACV hair rinse recipe here), but it can also help with allergies. Drinking about two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in an 8 oz. glass of water once every day, either all year, or just during allergy season, can help to slow the production of the histamines that create allergic reactions.
  4. Recognized throughout the world as a natural antihistamine, one or two daily cups of CHAMOMILE TEA, sweetened with honey, can provide immunity toward many common allergens. Once again, I'd add the local honey to that as well.
  5. GARLIC is another natural antihistamine. Just add it to some of your favorite foods and fight allergies while adding flavor!
  6. Take 250 milligrams of QUERCETIN three times a day. This natural supplement is a potent anti-inflammatory flavonoid, and it is widely used in natural medicine practices to fight allergies.


2 comments:

  1. This is good to know! It seems that lately my son and I have been suffering from allergies. We live in Delaware and the state is known for it's allergies! I will invest in some local honey and lime!I wonder if I could drink water, half a lime, local honey, and some ACV all together in the morning??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great concoction! Let me know how it works. I bought local honey from Wholefoods. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete